Thursday, February 17, 2011

Convictions

From the news today came an article about the first girl to win a wrestling championship in Iowa.   She won by forfeit and this is what the boy who forfeited said,
"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan [Black] and their accomplishments...  However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times.  As a matter of conscience and faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."
I have to say, I am very impressed by this young man. Not only did he (and his family) have strong convictions, they were honourable and they were lived out, even at the expense of something important to him.

To paraphrase Stephen Covey,
Honesty is when your words match reality.
Integrity is when reality matches your words.

No comments: